Criterium Engineers is one of North America’s leading consulting engineering firms, specializing in the evaluation of new construction and existing buildings. We serve individuals, real estate investors, developers, homeowner associations and other entities that want to know more about the buildings in which they live and work. We are an established and growing company with a 60+ year history. Our people are open-minded, intent on teaching each other, and thrive on generating new ideas, approaches and techniques that will enable us to better serve our goals and clients. This work environment reflects the company’s commitment to our vision of “building expertise to create a better world!” and was recognized as one of Maine’s Best Places to Work in 2020. The people who do best in our dynamic environment relish variety.
We are looking for a Project Engineer to join our organization.
Location: Freeport, Maine
Project Engineers are responsible to lead consulting engineering and technical projects for Criterium Engineers’ clients across the U.S. Work involves a full range of building-related inspection services for projects in building construction, technology and efficiency, real estate risk management, due diligence, and other building engineering projects. A Project Engineer will accomplish this by organizing and controlling all elements of a project during the execution phase in collaboration with project management.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develop project objectives by reviewing project proposals and plans and conferring with Chief Engineer and/or Business Development Team.
- Serve as day-to-day point of contact for key clients in collaboration with Project Management.
- Manage task completion in accordance with expected deliverables and consulting budget.
- Provide technical consulting services as defined by project scope.
- Provide clear and responsive feedback to clients about their projects.
- Actively participate in project meetings and weekly team meetings.
- Perform field inspections on the full spectrum of buildings, including old and new construction, residential and commercial structures, and high and low-rise buildings.
- Write, review and assess inspection reports for clients, ensuring clients receive clear, timely and high-quality reports for assigned projects including field inspections, technical writing and associated cost estimations.
- Review construction documents to evaluate a project’s constructability from an engineering, materials and other relevant perspectives (e.g. Constructability Reviews).
- Maintain accurate, timely and complete communications with Operations and Project Management staff, ensuring project needs and deadlines are being met.
- Perform other duties as directed by the Chief Engineer.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in Civil, Structural, Architectural, Mechanical, or Construction Engineering Technology.
- Earned or is actively pursuing initial professional certification (FE/EIT) in their core discipline, (having a Professional Engineer registration is a plus.)
- Knowledge and/or interest in building construction activities, including a practical knowledge of construction means, methods, and materials.
- Experienced at conveying objective, unbiased perspectives even if the information requires clients to make improvements to plans and work quality.
- OSHA 10 certification or equivalent required.
- Strong building code knowledge – certifications preferred.
- Knowledge of ASTM, AAMA, and discipline-specific Commissioning standards and testing procedures.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to read and interpret a wide variety of blueprints and schematics on new or existing structures.
- Ability to evaluate contractors’ work in order to detect problems with a design.
- Critical thinking mindset effective at problem solving.
- The ability to work with, maintain, and develop contacts within the building design/construction industry (builders, manufacturers, architects/engineers, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to build rapport, confidence and trust with client as well as company associates.
- Design skills and strong working knowledge of CAD, CAD/CAM circuit design is a plus.
- Project management in the context of managing work product, so it meets client expectations in a timely and financially responsible manner.
- Strong business acumen with excellent written and communication skills.
- Strong organization and documentation skills, including proficiency in technical writing standards.
- Highly organized, adaptable and flexible to balance the needs of multiple, concurrent projects.
- Ability to manage stressful situations.
- Self-starter, disciplined, observant and detail-oriented nature.
- Experienced and demonstrated interactive skills related to serving clients are critical, including strong communication skills and an ability to manage relationships.
- Capable at managing both internal schedules and customer requirements, anticipate potential issues and mitigate risk accordingly.
- Ability for travel requiring a reliable form of transportation.
- Comfortable and capable with utilizing a variety of computer interfaces and software. Examples include MS Office, Unanet’s InFocus, and Criterium’s proprietary software for inspection and report writing.
- Must be authorized to work in the US.
- Occasional travel either local or national.
- Requires some strenuous physical exertion as climbing ladders, crawling or crouching in restricted areas. Occasionally lifting objects over 50 pounds.
- The ability to work remotely for a portion of the work schedule is possible.
- Criterium Engineers offers competitive salaries and benefits (medical, dental, vision, 401k, and disability) to those individuals who work at least 24 hours per week.