Criterium Engineers Job Description
Criterium Engineers is one of North America’s leading consulting engineering firms, having evaluated over 750,000 buildings since 1957. As an organization, we are focused on helping our clients better understand the buildings in which they live and work from design, to construction, occupation and beyond. With our corporate office in Freeport, Maine and approximately 35 affiliated offices in North America, our clients stretch across the U.S. and Canada.
Criterium’s work involves a full range of building-related inspection services for projects in building construction, technology and efficiency, real estate risk management, due diligence, and other building engineering projects. Criterium Engineers has active projects with buildings in all phases: pre-construction, new construction and existing structures.
Criterium Engineers offers:
- An established company with a history and a vision. With a national footprint and an outstanding reputation, Criterium Engineers has been in business more than 60 years, is proud of our history and our achievements, and focused on where we are going.
- An open mind. We have amassed a vast reservoir of corporate knowledge and experience. We have much we can teach our employees. We also expect to learn from them. Criterium Engineers is open to new ideas, new approaches and new techniques that will enable us to better serve our clients.
- A dynamic environment. Criterium employees don’t spend their days sitting at desks staring at schematics. They engage with clients and colleagues as well as with buildings. There is nothing routine about their routine. The people who do best here relish variety and the challenge it provides.
- Competitive salaries and benefits, including Medical, Dental, Disability, Life Insurance, a 401k plan, and other benefits.
Location: Freeport, Maine headquarters or Remote.
The Software Developer is responsible for maintaining, updating and managing Criterium Engineers’ proprietary inspection and report writing software platform. The platform is used by individuals performing inspections and field work for the Company across North America. The platform is also an important enabler of internal work flow required to produce, review and distribute reports for clients.
Criterium’s software is a mobile application and corresponding web application developed from the ground up using React and React Native. Criterium relies on AWS services such as Amplify, Cognito, DynamoDB, Lambda, and ElasticSearch. Data is managed with GraphQL and AppSync. We operate in a low-bureaucracy environment with a focus on good development practices rather than excessive meetings.
We are looking for a software developer to join us as we grow. The ideal candidate is someone who has experience with multiple coding languages, and welcomes opportunities to learn. The individual will need to be a team player possessing strong analytical as well as technical skills, and be capable of communicating the logic behind technical needs to non-technical stakeholders. The individual must be comfortable working in an agile environment and have the ability to “take the wheel” when necessary.
This role might be particularly attractive to developers who have some experience with modern technologies such as serverless operations, mobile app development, and key-value (NoSQL) databases, and are looking to grow their skill set in a collaborative, supportive and less stressful environment. While members of the Criterium Engineers’ team are respectful of the deadlines we set for ourselves and clients, we don’t sign ourselves up for unrealistic expectations and have a very healthy working relationship with our internal colleagues and external clients.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Design and implement software that strikes the right balance between delivering on business needs and delivering the quality of code you are proud to ship.
- Set clear expectations around your work, know when to break down nebulous tasks into manageable parts, and communicate that to your teammates.
- Offer reasonable estimates for proposed features or enhancements, and be prepared to ask “why” and discuss the consequences of various options.
- Be a partner to business users and technical support and collaborate smoothly with those teams.
- Work with our structured, but sensible development practices based on two week agile sprints, centralized git repository and clear issue management systems.
- Expect to spend 80% of your time coding and testing (without being asked to attend superfluous meetings).
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE QUALIFICATIONS
- 4+ years of software development or programming experience, familiarity with construction, real estate, and/or engineering services is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical related field is preferred.
- Demonstrated track record for developing and/or improving software for multiple users that have varied levels of comfort with using technology.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- A good understanding of cloud architecture, good software practices, and data structures.
- A deep understanding of web development technologies.
- The ability to analyze complex technical information.
- Good communication and listening skills with an ability to translate user needs and desired capabilities into functioning software.
- Comfort designing and implementing database structures to solve real-world problems effectively.
- Familiarity with mobile app development and deployment.
- A meticulous and organized approach to work.
- A logical, analytical, and creative approach to problem-solving.
- A thorough, detail-oriented work style.
- Positive and solution-oriented attitude.
- Perform additional assignments, as directed.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Regularly required to sit (70%), stand (30%), reach, bend, and move about our facility or work sites.
- Frequently required to see, hear, talk, and type (repetitive motions).
- Work is performed indoors in an office or home office setting under ideal conditions.
- Occasional travel may be required to attend meetings and/or interact with field personnel.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities.
For more information, please visit our website www.criterium-engineers.com.Apply Now