Criterium Engineers is one of North America’s leading consulting engineering firms, having evaluated over 750,000 buildings since 1957. As an organization, we are focused on helping our clients better understand the buildings in which they live and work from design, to construction, occupation and beyond.
With our corporate office in Freeport, Maine and approximately 35 affiliated offices in North America, our clients stretch across the U.S. and Canada. Criterium’s work involves a full range of building-related inspection services for projects in building construction, technology and efficiency, real estate risk management, due diligence, and other building engineering projects. Criterium Engineers has active projects with buildings in all phases: pre-construction, new construction and existing structures.
Criterium Engineers offers:
- An established company with a history and a vision. With a national footprint and an outstanding reputation, Criterium Engineers has been in business more than 60 years, is proud of our history and our achievements, and focused on where we are going.
- An open mind. We have amassed a vast reservoir of corporate knowledge and experience. We have much we can teach our employees. We also expect to learn from them. Criterium Engineers is open to new ideas, new approaches and new techniques that will enable us to better serve our clients.
- A dynamic environment. Criterium employees don’t spend their days sitting at desks staring at schematics. They engage with clients and colleagues as well as with buildings. There is nothing routine about their routine. The people who do best here relish variety and the challenge it provides.
- Competitive salaries and benefits, including Medical, Dental, Disability, Life Insurance, a 401k plan, and other benefits.
Location: Central or Southern New Jersey
An Engineering Field Technician (EFT) is responsible to perform and document a wide variety of field inspection services as directed by the VP, Construction Engineering Services, in accordance with scope of service agreement and State and Federal guidelines. The EFT is expected to assist in managing project schedules, budgets and safety issues related to the project.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform field inspections at multiple project construction sites per week.
- Identify conforming, non-conforming items, and potential areas of concern as it relates to the documented construction plans and building/construction best-practices.
- Lead process for various quality assurance testing at construction sites, including water intrusion testing, etc.
- Complete reports in a timely manner following each field inspection in compliance with Criterium Engineers protocols.
- Build productive relationships with client representatives on project construction sites, including Construction Manager, Site Supervisors, and others.
- Advise and aid management, serve as a go-between with clients and project managers, and review contract documents
- Comply with all State and Federal Safety regulations, including proper use and maintenance of all personal protective equipment.
- Utilize project data bases, such as Procore, as required to document project information.
- As the Face of Criterium on site, prioritize client service while establishing and maintaining positive company reputation.
- Advise, coach, and develop other technicians within the organization, including corporate and affiliate staff.
- Provide clear and responsive feedback to clients about their projects.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Three (3) to Five (5) years of verifiable construction experience in all phases of construction or Associates or bachelor’s degree in Construction Engineering Technology or equivalent.
- Preferred ICC certifications (B1/B2) or equivalent or the ability and willingness to obtain certification within 12 months of hire.
- Strong understanding and application of documented engineering assessment tools and techniques in order to execute required activities.
- OSHA 10 certification.
- A valid driver’s license with a good driving record and insurance; access to a reliable vehicle for job site travel required. Occasional overnight travel may be necessary.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to read and interpret a wide variety of blueprints and schematics on new or existing structures.
- Ability to evaluate contractors’ work in order to detect problems with a design.
- Critical thinking mindset effective at problem solving site issues.
- Adaptable and flexible such as balancing the needs of multiple, concurrent projects.
- Comfortable managing stressful situations as would be typical on a construction site.
- Self-starter, disciplined, observant and detail-oriented nature.
- Experienced and demonstrated interactive skills relating to serving clients are critical, including strong communication skills and an ability to manage relationships.
- Capable at managing both internal schedules and client requirements, anticipate potential issues and surface accordingly.
- Ability for travel requiring a reliable form of transportation.
- Comfortable and capable with utilizing a variety of computer interfaces and software including MS Office, Unanet’s InFocus, and Criterium’s proprietary software for inspection and report writing.
- General knowledge of manufacturing methods and procedures for construction materials.
- Working knowledge of Process improvement Tools and Techniques.
- Strong organization and documentation skills.
- Safety management.
- Supervision including recruiting, training, and evaluating of staff.
- Candidate must be authorized to work in the U.S.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Requires some strenuous physical exertion as climbing ladders, crawling or crouching in restricted areas. Occasionally lifting objects over 50 pounds.
- Regularly required to sit (30%), stand (70%), reach, bend, and move about our facility or work sites.
For more information, please visit the construction engineering portion of our website https://criterium-engineers.com/construction-engineering/Apply Now